In recent years, digital life has augmented human capacities and disrupted old human activities. Algorithm driven artificial intelligence has and continues to spread across the globe in connectivity and ambient information. The technology has offered previously unimagined opportunities, like the development of machines that think and act like humans, as well as unprecedented threats.
According to a study, businesses that will have incorporated AI and other related technologies by 2021, will generate $2.9 trillion in business value. AI technology is, therefore, the next major technological revolution after the evolution of cloud and mobile platforms.
The concept will continue to grow and evolve due to its scale of opportunity, as companies and investors invest billions of dollars.
Stages in the Future Evolution of AI
Hundreds of thousands of data scientists and developers continue to work on AI. Their contribution has led to an increase in the development speed. This explains the eye-catching announcements made daily. Outlined below are the seven stages in the future evolution of AI.
- Rule-Based System: These are the RPA software, aircraft autopilot, and domestic applications that surround you everywhere.
- Context Awareness and Retention: These are the algorithms that build up information that is updated and used by machines. The best example of this is the chatbox and robo-advisors.
- Domain-Specific Expertise: These are the machines that develop expertise in specific fields, exceeding that of humans. This is made possible because of their ability to quickly access information and make decisions. An example of this is Google Deepmind’s AlphaGo.
- Reasoning Machines: These are algorithms with the ability to relate mental state to themselves and others. They have a sense of knowledge, beliefs, intentions, and logic. Hence the ability to interact, reason, and negotiate with other machines or humans.
- Self-Aware Systems: The main objective of AI scientists is to develop systems that have human-like intelligence. These algorithms are in the developing stage, and you can expect them in a few years to come.
- Artificial Superintelligence: This is a concept of developing algorithms that will supersede the smartest humans in every domain.
- Singularity and Transcendence: This is an ASI enabled development path that would lead to the expansion of human capabilities. With this AI, humans will be enhanced and augmented to connect with their brains.
The Future of Artificial Intelligence
In the coming years, fully automated decentralized autonomous organizations with no or fewer employees are expected to be developed. Personal intelligent devices that use AI to manage your life and guard your data will be introduced. Self-managing swarm robotics is also expected to hit the market.
Besides, 70 to 90% of customer interactions will be conducted using AI. Product development in different sectors will be tested and undertaken using the concept, while autonomous vehicles will also start hitting the road. By 2060, Artificial intelligence is expected to have penetrated virtually every sector. The critical challenge will be to ensure that these transformations don’t go unchecked, to avoid rendering humans obsolete.
The pace of the evolution of AI will likely continue, and you can expect to continue seeing regular breakthroughs. However, you shouldn’t assume that there will be a smooth progression of the evolution stages outlined above. Massive breakthroughs in sensitive sectors like neural networks and consciousness will be required to reach the last three stages.